[omniORB] socket reusing

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:46:22 +0200

Hi OmniORB developers,
    I'm somewhat curious to know the reason behind the choice of using the
SO_REUSEADDR option in OmniORB socket handling.
We sometimes find ourselves in trouble because the same port is used by
multiple processes on a single host and they don't know about each other;
even worse, they can be any TCP/IP application. This occurs whenever the
port must be specified manually because some persistent object must be
created (e.g. persistent IOR). This way communications fail (typically
callbacks) in a strange way instead of a friendly "address already in use"
errno and this failure is very hard to track down when the third application
(even a service on NT) is hidden.
Thanks for any clarification,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it