[omniORB] GIOP 1.1 and omniOrb

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
15 Jul 2000 01:21:41 +0100

If IBM JDK 1.2 is using GIOP 1.1 to talk to omniNames, it is a bug in JDK.

The choice of what GIOP protocol version to use to talk to a CORBA object
is determined by the information contained in the IOR of the object. In the
case of omniName's root context, it says GIOP 1.0. Therefore the client
(JDK) should not be using GIOP 1.1 to talk to it.

On the otherhand, if the IOR says 1.2, the client is free to use any of the
lower GIOP versions to talk to the object, i.e. 1.1 or 1.0.

omniNames/omniORB will support GIOP 1.1 and 1.2 and bi-direction GIOP.
Now that omniORB 3 is released, the merge of the new GIOP code will
commence.

Sai-Lai