[omniORB] boa & poa

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:32:55 -0400

Bryan,

Caveat: I am a POA newbie myself.

> With BOA, one could issue a non-blocking "impl_is_ready()":
>
> ex. _boa->impl_is_ready( 0, 1 );  // 1 means non-block
>
> Is there an equivalent w/ the (omniORB) POA?

I think the answer is that there isn't an equivalent call but neither is
there a need for it.

I.e., you don't block as a side effect of starting something up.  You
only block if you want to, which you would by calling orb->run().  If
you don't want to block, you just don't call orb->run().

OTOH, to remain portable you should have code like:

	if (orb->work_pending())
	  orb->perform_work();

somewhere in a loop (probably the main thread) if you don't call
orb->run().  Apparently, on omniORB these calls do nothing.

HTH,

Bruce
--

Bruce Visscher                                        visschb@rjrt.com