[omniORB] Re: omniORB v3 pre-release 3: Most of your examples don't build

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
11 Jul 2000 21:29:06 +0100

The reason why the examples won't build with the sample nmake files is
because there is a bug in MSVC++ which causes unnecessary reference to a few
functions in omniDynamic300_rt.dll even though they are definitely not
required.

To solve this problem, you can always link the examples with
omniDynamic300_rt.dll in addition to omniORB300_rt.dll.

An alternative solution, which I've checked-in tonight is to link with a
small stub library msvcstub.lib instead of omniDynamic300_rt.dll. This is a
better solution especially if you want to link your executable with the
static omniORB runtime library. The resulting executable would be
considerably smaller without omniDynamic. Of course, this is only useful if
you do not use any of the dynamic interfaces, i.e. DII, DSI, DynAny, Anys
and typecodes.

The nmake files have been updated to use the stub library msvcstub.lib
where possible. You can also switch to link with omniDynamic300_rt.dll by
editing the nmake files. To use these nmake files unchanged, **YOU HAVE TO
RE-COMPILE** the omniORB runtime library (<top>/src/lib/omniORB2) to
generate msvcstub.lib.

As Duncan as indicated, the update is available via CVS or tomorrow's FTP
snapshot. Or you just wait for the full release which is real soon now.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com