[omniORB] Persistence....

Ben Miller Ben.Miller@Mercia.Com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:09:25 +0100

Hi all,

Can somebody please give me a brief explanation of the following:  in
omniORB2 all CORBA servers had to be persistent.  As I understand
this, it meant that there was no way of starting a CORBA server
program when a request for it is first made from a client.  Is this
right?  Am I right in assuming that the omniORB3 ability to create
persistent and transient server objects is a different issue - that
the servant program and a server object's persistence are separate
issues?

The reason that I am asking is that I've become a little confused as
to whether or not I can make a server-ORB automatically start up my
CORBA servant program when my CORBA client makes a specific request to
that server.  Using omniORB2.7.1 I had to start my servant program
myself (say, as an NT service) before my clients could make requests
to it.

Can anyone can sort my brain out....?

Regards,
Ben Miller