[omniORB] BOA_init falied.

Bruce Visscher bvisscher@mindspring.com
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 13:03:56 -0400

Tony,

This is going to be a long shot, but worth a try:

tony lam wrote:

> Hi all:
>     I compiled omniORB2.80 under SCO open server 5.0.5 with GCC 2.95.2
> and FSUpthread. The compile result seems ok.
> when I run omniNames like  omniNames -start 12345 &,it said:
> BOA_init falied:cannot use port 12345 to accept incoming IIOP calls.
> I search the archives,but still can't resolve this problem.
> (port never use by other applications  and and machine node name get by
> uname -n to hosts)
> who  can help me?
> Thanks a lot.

I just had this exact same problem on OpenVMS yesterday.  I actually think
it was due to a bug in the TCP/IP implementation on OpenVMS.  The problem
was that there were (unrelated) errors during startup, so I had to manually
abort the omniNames process, correct the problem, then attempt to restart.
The bug was that there was still a device allocated even after the process
shutdown.  I've actually never seen anything like this on OpenVMS (which is
usually pretty good about cleanup of resources).  Once we got rid of the
device everthing worked fine.  I have no idea how SCO allocates ports and
socket devices so I don't know if this can translate into something
specific for your platform, but thought I'd mention this in case it might
be helpful.

HTH,

Bruce