[omniORB] dead locks

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:26:59 -0500

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> I run in a strange situation where a call to CORBA::is_nil
> locks my application. The calling code and the object being
> tested are collocated. Any ideas of what the problem is ?

I did more testing and I had to find out that the pointer was
bogus (still I don't understand how this can make the thread
hang). However, the type I tested was a _var type so I assumed
(and still asume) that the correct behavior was to initialize
it with <Type>::_nil() within it's default constructor.
Am I wrong ?

After I added explicit initialization

first = Controller::_nil();

all runs nicely.