[omniORB] Should I move to OmniORB3.0?

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:24:51 -0500

In Message <387F0901.19BEB295@datarespons.no> ,
   "Haarek Ryeng" <Haarek.Ryeng@datarespons.no> wrote:

=3D>I=92m considering moving from OmniORB 2.7.1 to OmniORB 3.0,
=3D>but I=92m a little sceptical due to the fact that it is only
=3D>pre-release.
=3D>
=3D>But have I understood it correctly when I say that the
=3D>OmniORB 2.8.0 is built into the 3.0 version?

   Not really. I looked at this for a bit, and while 3.0 does have
an option to support the BOA like 2.8.0, I noticed (while making
a weak attempt to get omniORBpy working with 3.0) that the internals
have been changed significantly in places.

=3D>If I were to use only the BOA for a while, it will be just
=3D>as good as the 2.8.0 version? (I have a tight time schedule
=3D>on one of my applications=85)

   Yes, I think that would be a good idea. It seems fairly stable,
and you have the option to use omniORBpy with it now.

=3D>Last, but not least, I=92m working in an embedded environment
=3D>=96 thus memory footprint and RAM consumption during runtime
=3D>is of some importance. Are there significant differences
=3D>between 2.7.1 and 3.0 (probably, but can somebody estimate
=3D>the difference)?

   Not me. If I were to guess, things might have been cleaned up
a bit in 3.0, but the POA support would probably offset any size
savings.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories