[omniORB] Versioning of objects

klarson@McLeodUSA.com klarson@McLeodUSA.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:07:23 -0600

I have been unable to find much information on how to version objects.  For my
application, I will have multiple clients accessing the same CORBA objects.  If
I need to modify an object (let's say one of the clients needs a new method or
some new data) it would be very difficult (impossible?) to coordinate the
release of my new object with a release of all of the client applications.  I
would think there should be some way to version an object so that all clients
can use the new object as long as the modifications are such that it is backward
compatible.  I would think that this would be a common requirement for users of
CORBA, but have been unable to find much information about how to accomplish
this.  Is there any mechanism in OmniOrb to facilitate this?  Does anyone have
any suggestions on how to accomplish this?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Kirk Larson
klarson@mcleodusa.com