[omniORB] eg3_impl exception

Michael Stokes stokes@ERC.MsState.Edu
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:26:07 -0600

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Duncan Grisby wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:48:06 +0000
> From: Duncan Grisby <dgrisby@uk.research.att.com>
> To: Michael Stokes <stokes@erc.msstate.edu>
> Cc: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
> Subject: Re: [omniORB] eg3_impl exception
>
> On Monday 21 February, Michael Stokes wrote:
>
> > I have no problem running the eg2 demo under RH 6.0 using the GCC 2.95
> > compiler. But when running the echo demo eg3_impl, I get the message;
> >
> > Caught a system exception while using the naming service.
>
> Did you compile everything from source?

Yes I did.  I downloaded and compiled everthing yesterday.

> If you are using the binary
> distribution, it's possible that you're experiencing some sort of
> library conflict.

I don't think so.  I looked at the binaries using ldd and found the proper
libraries.

> Another possibility is that your gcc was not compiled with
> --enable-threads, which causes random crashes.

I considered this as well, but the thread demo ran great well for several
minutes. On the other hand, I have no way of knowing how to tell if gcc
was compiled with threads enabled.  ANy ideas?

Last night I recompiled the demoes with OMNI_DUMMYGK_LIB and the demoes
all worked great (except for the tcl demo. I haven't tracked this problem
down), so it is surely something I am not doing right in the setup of the
wrapper routines.

What is not clear to me from reading the docs is what the process is of
setting up hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.  I created and exported the
OMNIORB_CONFIG variable which I set to
/home/<account>/app/omniORB_280/etc/omniORB.cfg and created a file with
the same name in that path by running "omniNames -start xxxxx" and piping
stderr to the config file, removed the extraneous info, and inserted
NAMESERVER <sp> followed by the IOR: string.  It is as follows

NAMESERVICE IOR:010000002800000049444c3a6f6d672e6f72672f436f734e61...
#
#  Some wrapper stuff
#
GATEKEEPER_ALLOWFILE    /home/stokes/hydro/omniORB_280/etc/hosts.allow
GATEKEEPER_DENYFILE     /home/stokes/hydro/omniORB_280/etc/hosts.deny

I also created a hosts.allow file which contained one record which read

ALL:<tab>ALL

I did not create the hosts.deny file since the wrapper software should
always accept the request.

I also set up an OMNIORB_LOGDIR and set it to /var/log/omninames which I
created as root user, but set the owner of the dir to myself with perms of
777.  The log file is being created, so I don't think this is the issue.

In any case, I plan to upgrade my system to the latest RH version in the
next week or so.  SInce I have OMNI working right now with the dummy stub,
I might wait to redress these issues after I get the new system installed.
However, I am still entertaining ideas on new things to look for.  I have
set previous versions of omni up with no problem, so I am still mystified
what is causing the problem.

Regards,
Mike