[omniORB] Multiple Servers servicing the same object name?

klarson@McLeodUSA.com klarson@McLeodUSA.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:20:58 -0600

We are beginning to integrate OmniOrb into our business applications.  We are
trying to do some planning on how to handle error and etc.  One of the things we
are looking at is what happens if we lose the system which is serving an object.
The thought was that we would bring up 2 servers which would both register with
the name service.  The nameservice would then have 2 available servers to which
to direct clients.  If one of these went down, then the other server would
simply service all (new) clients.  This worked when we were playing around with
Visbroker, but does not seem to work with OmniOrb?  It seems that a new server
registry overrides any server already registered, meaning that a name can only
be serviced by a single host at one thime?  Is this part of the name service
specification? Is there a way go get Omninames to do this?

Thanks,
Kirk Larson
klarson@mcleodusa.com