[omniORB] Porting omniorb to an ebcdic machine

hoovey@us.ibm.com hoovey@us.ibm.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:15:06 -0600

I am porting omniorb 2.8 to an EBCDIC platform. I have the echo examples
all running on an EBCDIC machine and I am now going to try and tackle
getting character conversions to work so that it complies with CORBA and
can be used with ASCII machines.  I believe there are following pieces need
to be changed:

1) On the get/put of data so that data being passed is passed in ASCII
2) Parts of the code do comparisons against character data, I will need to
find these an ensure they are considered ASCII hex data comparisons
3) The nameserver omniNames needs the IOR information in ASCII??
4) Remote procedure calls are in ASCII??

Does anyone have any hints as to the best place to try and add the
conversions for get/put? I am afraid I can't put it in the
align_and_xxx_bytes routines because it may be used for more than just the
places I need conversions to occur.

Do these seem like the right changes that need to be made? Can you think of
any others I should be aware of?

I will admit I am very new to CORBA and omniORB, so any help would be
great!

Thanks,

Paul S. Halverson
(507) 253-5658   (Tie) 553-5658