[omniORB] omniORB performance

Zeljko Rajic Zeljko.Rajic@brokat.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:24:47 +0100

Hi !

As I was a little bit astonished about the omniORB performance (it is
faster than VisiBroker), I've read the paper "The Implementation of a
High Performance ORB over Multiple Network Transports", written by
Sai-Lai Lo and Steve Pope that is said to explain these performance
achievement.

They write that omniORB uses a 'thread-per-connection' model. Now I'm
not sure if I understood everything correctly. They write that for every
connection a separate thread is spawned.
Does this now mean that for every client only one connection is
established to handle the requests or as many connections as are
necessary?  What happens for example when the client spawns 20 threads
that in parallel invoke operations on the same/different object(s) ??

Does omniORB multiplex the requests from this 20 threads onto one
connection or are some new connections established ??  If new
connections are established, how does omniORB recognize that it should
open a new connection ??

I hope that somebody in this list can answer these questions.

Regards,
Zeljko