[omniORB] omniORBpy: Pickling Objects

Robert Sander omniorb@beteigeuze.cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:29:08 +0100

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 10:30:58AM +0000, Duncan Grisby wrote:

> Note that the patches I made only let you pickle object references,
> not servant objects. I thought from your original message that that
> was what you wanted to do, but now I'm not so sure. What precisely are
> you trying to do?

I do not want to pickle servant objects, to say it clearly ;-) I just want to
pickle the object on the client side.

> Pickling a servant object is fundamentally hard, since the ORB itself
> has to hold a (Python) reference to it. I think it could be done by
> using some of the more advanced POA facilities like ServantManagers.
> At the moment omniORBpy is based on omniORB 2.8, so it doesn't support
> such things. I'm currently working on a version based on omniORB 3
> which will support them.

I see that problem. I other ideas on that. Maybe it is possible to create a
NameingService object at ZOPE startup as seperate thread and then let other
server object bind to it. Client objects could then ask for a reference. This
is only a quick idea and may be not working.

> An object reference is just like a pointer. If the thing it points to
> no longer exists, it won't work any more. This is an inherent aspect
> of the CORBA object model.

I know this, therefore I have to test the "pointer" everytime it is unpickled.

Greetings
--
Robert Sander                                 www.gurubert.de