[omniORB] feature request

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 09:03:32 -0500

David Riddoch wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
> > Dear omni developers,
> >
> > I'm debugging the berlin display server. My client programs
> > don't get destructed properly because I gave (somewhere)
> > dangling references.
> > What I'd like to ask is a trace level where all the ref
> > counting is logged (with repo ids) to facilitate debugging.
>
> If we did this I would like it to be a compile time option to
> include/exclude such code.  Quite a bit of overhead otherwise...

In fact, I'd like to ask for a different approach:
I'd like to be able to access these data through a (non portable)
API. The reason is that I might (from within the user interface we
are writing) want to inspect the different objects. This would
help a lot debugging the system. Otherwise it's quite difficult
to trace where the dangling pointers come from since there are
so many objects created temporarily. Each event (mouse move etc)
triggers a traversal of the scene graph involving the creation
and destruction of quite a couple of Regions, Transforms and other
CORBA objects...

Thanks,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique