[omniORB] feature request

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:15:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Dear omni developers,
>
> I'm debugging the berlin display server. My client programs
> don't get destructed properly because I gave (somewhere)
> dangling references.
> What I'd like to ask is a trace level where all the ref
> counting is logged (with repo ids) to facilitate debugging.

If we did this I would like it to be a compile time option to
include/exclude such code.  Quite a bit of overhead otherwise...

> on a different note, the localIdentity class in omni 3 seems
> to lack a virtual destructor.

This is deliberate -- instances of omniLocalIdentity and
omniRemoteIdentity are only ever deleted at the point that the complete
type really is known, so there is no need for a virtual destructor (and
having one is unnecassary overhead in space and time).

Some compilers emit a warning -- but it is perfectly legal c++ and in this
case completely safe.

Cheers,
David