[omniORB] Rearrangement of omniORB tree, was Re: omniORBpy port OpenVMS problem

Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:41:59 +0000

On Wednesday 2 February, Bruce Visscher wrote:

> I have successfully ported omniORBpy to OpenVMS Alpha (at least to the
> point of running the examples in releasenote).  However, if I follow the
> instructions, it produces a directory tree that is 9 levels deep (e.g.,
> $(TOP)/src/lib/omniORBpy/omniidl/python/be/cxx/skel).  This causes
> problems since VMS is limited to 8 directory levels (:-().  I have
> worked around it, but this might become rather inconvenient for VMS
> users.  For example, there's no way a directory tree like this can be
> unpacked from a tarball in a simple operation.

Thanks for your porting efforts. I was already aware that the
directory tree was too deep for VMS, but I haven't done anything about
it yet. We are planning a reasonably significant reorganisation of
things, which will, amongst other things, resolve this problem.

Some time in the very near future, omniORB 3 will start using the new
omniidl compiler. At that time, omniidl will move from its own CVS
package into the main omniORB directory tree. It will either be in
src/tool/omniidl, or just src/omniidl. This change will mean that
Python is required even if you are just using the C++ ORB. We are
currently working on packaging up a minimal Python distribution for
those people who don't already have it. People using CVS will
automatically pick up that change.

When that change happens, I'll also rearrange the omniORBpy directory
arrangement to be a little more sensible. The change to omniORBpy will
confuse CVS, so anyone with a CVS check-out will have to remove it
before updating to the new version. I'll post a notice to the list and
the web site when that happens.

Finally, in the slightly longer term, omniORBpy will support omniORB 3,
and all future development will only be done for the newer ORB. The
old version based on omniORB 2.8 will still be around, and may get bug
fixes, but new features will only go into the omniORB 3 version.

So there's the road map.