[omniORB] omniORB and Red Hat 6.1 segfault [LONG]

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc@mediaone.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:55:50 -0500

Hi,

It sounds like you have a bad combination of compilers and
shared libraries installed.  If you feel adventurous, go to:
ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/

Get the following packages from there: gcc, gcc-c++, cpp, libstdc++,
binutils.  All the packages are available as rpm installable packages
(make sure you uninstall the old versions you may have, and uninstall
your egcs compiler as well).

My setup looks like this:
rpm -qa | egrep 'gcc|cpp|libstd|binu|libc'

gcc-2.95.2-0.1
libstdc++-2.95.2-2.10.0-0.1
cpp-2.95.2-0.1
gcc-c++-2.95.2-0.1
libc-5.3.12-31
glibc-devel-2.1.2-11
compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1
glibc-2.1.2-11
binutils-2.9.5.0.22-1

Once you have this installed, do a make clean, and rebuild omniORB.
This combination, while not the stock Redhat configuration, has proven
quite stable for me....I've even managed to compile the Linux kernel 2.2.14
with it (some versions of the compiler don't build with gcc 2.9.x series
compilers).

Good luck.
--
Craig Rodrigues