[omniORB] omniORB and Red Hat 6.1 segfault

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:52:11 -0700

I can run the pre-compiled omniORB_280 just fine on RedHat with omniORBpy.
However, I do get warnings about the size of cout and cerr.  When I try to use
omniNames, it throws a segmentation fault as soon as a client tries to connect
to it.

So today, I tried building the whole thing, using CVS to extract omni and
building it all, including omniORBpy.  After trying this, nothing works.  Even
my object servers, which used to run fine with the pre-compiled version, now
throw a segfault whenever any client tries to connect.  omniNames still dumps
core as soon as any client tries to connect.

Here is some pertinent data:

[uche@medwiredport4 test_suite]$ uname -a
Linux medwiredport4 2.2.12-20 #1 Mon Sep 27 10:40:35 EDT 1999 i686 unknown

(note: Red Hat 6.1 for i386 with all errata applied)

[uche@medwiredport4 test_suite]$ rpm -qa | grep gc
egcs-1.1.2-24
egcs-c++-1.1.2-24

[uche@medwiredport4 test_suite]$ rpm -qa | grep libc
glibc-2.1.2-11
glibc-devel-2.1.2-11
libc-5.3.12-31

I uncommented platform = i586_linux_2.0_glibc in config.mk when I tried
building it myself.  I also had to change the paths to the compilers in
i586_linux_2.0.mk to

CPP = /usr/bin/cpp
CXX = g++
CC  = gcc

Any ideas?  Note that my system is glibc 2.1, but though there is a
i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1.mk, there is no such option in config.mk.  Could this
be the problem?

Please help: I need to run omniNames today, one way or another.

Thanks.

--
Uche Ogbuji
Fourthought, Inc., IT Consultants