[omniORB] VisiBroker Interoperability Bug

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:04:46 -0500

   This came up a while back. Try:

	omniORB::acceptMisalignedTcIndirections = 1;

or

	omniORB::enableLcdMode();

as a workaround.

					Gary Duzan
					Verizon Laboratories

In Message <D5AC347BDA9BD411B4BE00508BCFAADCA1D5@ser-msg07.entp.attws.com> ,
   "Brenneis, Steve" <steve.brenneis@attws.com> wrote:

=>This will only be of interest to those who are using omniORB (any version
=>supporting typecodes and CORBA::Any) servers and VisiBroker 3.x clients. If
=>you're not among this group, please excuse the intrusion.
=>
=>VB 3 clients seem to have a problem with indirect typecodes. The only
=>verifiable instance we have noticed involves an IDL in which a data
=>structure contains two or more instances of the same enum. For example:
=>
=>module BadVB_IDL {
=>
=>enum myEnum { enum_a, enum_b };
=>
=>struct MyStruct {
=>  myEnum element_a;
=>  myEnum element_b;
=>};
=>
=>};
=>
=>In this example, if a compliant server inserts an instance of
=>BadVB_IDL::MyStruct into an Any (or a sequence of Any's), the VB 3.x client
=>will throw a marshalling exception (yes, the enums are properly initialized
=>before insertion). We have also only noted this in Java clients. Inprise has
=>acknowledged the bug and has no intention of fixing it for VB 3 (VB 4 is
=>their current release).
=>
=>Steve Brenneis
=>Developer-II
=>AT&T Wireless
=>Steve.Brenneis@attws.com
=>
=>"You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because
=>you might not get there." -- Yogi Berra
=>
=>