[omniORB] Findout out ave CORBA object sizes...

Greg Law gel@soi.city.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:40:38 +0000

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 December, Greg Law wrote:
>
> > I want to do some benchmarking to find out a typical size of a CORBA
> > object.  To do this I'd like to just insert a printf in the relevant
> > function of OmniORB, probably something like:
> >
> > omniORB::create_object( obj_type *p ) {
> >   printf( "Creating an object of %x bytes\n", p->size );
>
> Like Stefan asks, what do you mean by "object"?  Servant or object
> reference?  Whatever you mean, things are not anything like as simple
> as you seem to expect. For each CORBA object, there are several C++
> objects involved. The size of the objects can vary for a number of
> reasons.
>
> I suggest a far more profitable way of evaluating the size of whatever
> it is you are trying to measure is to plot a graph of process size
> against number of objects. That will give you a figure for the average
> size of an object.

Ah, that's a pretty cunning plan.  Is there a simple way to get the
number of objects out of an OmniORB process (I haven't tried yet -- just
being and lazy and wondering if you could tell me where to start looking
in the source)

Thanks for the suggestion,

Greg Law, 			email: 	gel@soi.city.ac.uk
Dept. Of Computing,		web:	http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~gel/
City University, 		phone: 	+44 20 7477 8341
London, UK.  EC1V 0HB.		fax:	+44 20 7477 8587