[omniORB] Findout out ave CORBA object sizes...

Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:24:15 +0000

On Wednesday 13 December, Greg Law wrote:

> I want to do some benchmarking to find out a typical size of a CORBA
> object.  To do this I'd like to just insert a printf in the relevant
> function of OmniORB, probably something like:
>
> omniORB::create_object( obj_type *p ) {
>   printf( "Creating an object of %x bytes\n", p->size );

Like Stefan asks, what do you mean by "object"?  Servant or object
reference?  Whatever you mean, things are not anything like as simple
as you seem to expect. For each CORBA object, there are several C++
objects involved. The size of the objects can vary for a number of
reasons.

I suggest a far more profitable way of evaluating the size of whatever
it is you are trying to measure is to plot a graph of process size
against number of objects. That will give you a figure for the average
size of an object.