[omniORB] Getting ObjectId when using default servant

randy.shoup@tumbleweed.com randy.shoup@tumbleweed.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 16:27:21 -0800

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September, Sander Steffann wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble getting the ObjectId that is used to call an object
> > implemented by a default servant. I'm just starting with Corba/omniORB,
> > si I think I'm just missing something...
>
> Unfortunately, there is no way to do that with omniORB at the moment.
> The way to do it would be to use the PortableServer::Current
> interface, found with resolve_initial_references("POACurrent"), but
> omniORB does not support it yet.
>
> Sorry,
>
> Duncan.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I am interested in a similar issue:
how to use a single POA default servant to implement all objects of a
particular type in omniORB3.  The idea would be to write a stateless and
replicable server for these objects.

What are the plans for adding support for PortableServer::Current in
omniORB3?  What are the technical barriers, if any, to implementing
this?  In my naivete, it seems to me that it is just a matter of taking
advantage of thread-local storage to store the current POA and object-id
during an operation invocation :-).

-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)216-2038
Senior Architect                                rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Communications Corporation