[omniORB] Re: [Berlin-design] ref counting and object deactivation/destruction

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:30:09 -0400

Andrew n marshall wrote:

> It sounds like you have a bigger problem.  If you are doing reference
> counting and the nodes are refering to each other (and each has
> incremented its reference count because of it), the references will
> never go to zero except by forcably deleting the objects (i.e., the
> poa-destroy(...) methods?).  Thus, your garbage collection doesn't work
> very well.

not true. I probably wasn't very clear on the ref counting. The
distributed ref counting (with special methods increment()/decrement()
is only used from parents to children. Children aren't considered
owner of a reference to the parent. This works since the parent would
detach itself from the child in case of destruction (though only in the
destructor - there is still some time for an upcall to fail after the
parent is deactivated and before it is destructed).

> And I don't think you can wait for references to go to 1 because most leaf
> nodes are still important.

Could you please rephrase that ?

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld