[omniORB] Proper desturction of Anys

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins@cdrgts.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:48:20 -0600 (MDT)

Hi all.  Long time listener, first time caller.

I am doing a project with omniORB release 2.8.0, and I have some questions
about the proper destruction of Anys.

The project is very similar to an Event Service with some added features
and a bit more optimized design.  We have an application with thousands of
channels and about a dozen consumers/suppliers per channel; the omniEvents
which Paul Nadar(sp?) wrote was just not the right design for our
application.

Also, our QOS is much more lax; we do not spool events for disconnected
consumers.

My question is simply this.  The event channels pass around Anys.  If an
CORBA::Any is given a class scope and the parent class goes out of scope,
the Any should be cleaned up simply by the fact that it when out of scope
(and it destructor was called).  Is this a correct statement?  Do I need to
do anything else to cleanup the Any?

BTW, I am pursuing other parts of the implementation which also may be the
source of the problem as well (essential a memory leak, followed by an
eventual SIGILL).

-dkh

--
Klingon code is not released, it escapes leaving a bloody trail of
marketing staff and QA personnel.

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research."
- Einstein