[omniORB] Re: omniORB-to-omniORB over internet

Beat Nideröst B.U.Niderost@phys.uu.nl
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:39:26 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C00776.A217D4A0

Hello Ben,

We had a similar problem. We wanted to connect via CORBA from a Java
client applet running in a sandbox to a OmnORB 2.8 server. The applet was
part of a html page, viewed in a web browser (Internet Explorer or
Netscape Navigator). The problem was that a sandbox applet is only allowe=
to connect to servers running on the one computer where the applet was
downloaded from (thus where the webserver is running of the website that
the browser is showing). However, we also wanted to be able to communicat=
with servers that run on other computers.

The solution we used is the gatekeeper that comes with Inprise/Borland
Visibroker for Java ORB. The gatekeeper is started as a server on the
computer that is already running the webserver. The client ORB (which mus=
be Visibroker) connects to the gatekeeper, which relays the connection to
any other CORBA server. In our case, we connected to a few omniORB server=
that were spread over a number of computers in different countries. Some
of the servers were running on the computer platform x86/NT4, others on
Sun/Solaris 7. One of the servers was an onmi COS naming service.

According to Inprise's documentation, the Visibroker gatekeeper can do
HTTP encapsulation. You should therefore be able to use it through
firewalls in the way you asked. However, we did not try this. According t=
the same documentation, the gatekeeper can also run as a servlet in the
web-browser, instead of as a stand-alone server.

The Gatekeeper documentation can be found on the Visibroker website:

http://www.borland.com/techpubs/visibroker/visibroker41/vbj41-index.html

Choose the format that you like the best, and then view the "Gatekeeper
Guide".

Good luck,

Beat Niderost

> Has anyone implemented an omniORB server which has requests made upon
> it by a JavaIDL applet/application on a client? I am wanting to do
> this but the main problem is that unless the JavaIDL ORB can send its
> requests to the omniORB ORB using HTTP, the requests will not get
> through client-end firewalls. We are trying to create software that
> works in this way and is installed at customer sites with the least
> amount of maintenance possible. Our client and server machines are
> Windows x86 (for now), but we hope to port the server -side code to
> Unix in the future.

-

Drs. Beat U. Nider=F6st
Junior Research Associate
Utrecht University
Minnaertbuilding, room 305
Leuvenlaan 4
3584 CE  UTRECHT
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (30) 253-2290
Fax: +31 (30) 253-7555
E-mail: B.U.Niderost@phys.uu.nl

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C00776.A217D4A0

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Nider=F6st;Beat;Urs;Drs.
FN:Beat Urs Nider=F6st
NICKNAME:Beat
ORG:Utrecht University;Computational Physics
TITLE:Research Physicist
NOTE:Other phone/address is phone/address parents...
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+31 (30) 253-2290
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+31 (30) 656-1640
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+31 (616) 348-340
TEL;VOICE:+31 (13) 533-3394
TEL;WORK;FAX:+31 (30) 253-7555
ADR;WORK:;Minnaert building, room 305;Leuvenlaan 4;Utrecht;Utrecht;3584 =
CE;Netherlands
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Minnaert building, room =
305=3D0D=3D0ALeuvenlaan 4=3D0D=3D0AUtrecht, Utrecht 3584 CE=3D
=3D0D=3D0ANetherlands
ADR;HOME:;;Vletweide 140;Bunnik;Utrecht;3981 ZP;Netherlands
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Vletweide 140=3D0D=3D0ABunnik, =
Utrecht 3981 ZP=3D0D=3D0ANetherlands
ADR;POSTAL:;;De Ploegschaar 123;Berkel-Enschot;Noord-Brabant;5056 =
MB;Netherlands
LABEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:De Ploegschaar =
123=3D0D=3D0ABerkel-Enschot, Noord-Brabant 5056 MB=3D0D=3D0ANetherlan=3D
ds
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL:http://www.phys.uu.nl/~niderost
URL:http://www.phys.uu.nl/~niderost
BDAY:19751130
KEY;X509;ENCODING=3DBASE64:
    =
MIIDDzCCAnigAwIBAgIDAtuSMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBAUAMIGUMQswCQYDVQQGEwJaQTEVMBMG
    =
A1UECBMMV2VzdGVybiBDYXBlMRQwEgYDVQQHEwtEdXJiYW52aWxsZTEPMA0GA1UEChMGVGhh
    =
d3RlMR0wGwYDVQQLExRDZXJ0aWZpY2F0ZSBTZXJ2aWNlczEoMCYGA1UEAxMfUGVyc29uYWwg
    =
RnJlZW1haWwgUlNBIDE5OTkuOS4xNjAeFw0wMDA3MDYwNzQyNDBaFw0wMTA3MDYwNzQyNDBa
    =
MGwxEjAQBgNVBAQWCU5pZGVyw7ZzdDERMA8GA1UEKhMIQmVhdCBVcnMxGzAZBgNVBAMWEkJl
    =
YXQgVXJzIE5pZGVyw7ZzdDEmMCQGCSqGSIb3DQEJARYXQi5VLk5pZGVyb3N0QHBoeXMudXUu
    =
bmwwgZ8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADgY0AMIGJAoGBAJ1VDsZaAyTOo/oblLJ4I80ZM56r4+nR
    =
7TmdoGvtQfZ4l38Acfc/E7EzYpsMEeYyghOLCbRtLELXGx8R01Z7rDpeaYUQgPa7/MSTKYNU
    =
TPyJIoxJ17PmnDCtpp67Icwr0age1wJkwnaPgNMXwSBSikvkxnGM3H+UPRi81B0n2tejAgMB
    =
AAGjgZUwgZIwDgYDVR0PAQH/BAQDAgP4MC0GBStlAQQBBCQwIgIBADAdMBsCAQQEFndSbWRh
    =
Sjh4RHZqRW1jOUpZODNLZFEwIgYDVR0RBBswGYEXQi5VLk5pZGVyb3N0QHBoeXMudXUubmww
    =
DAYDVR0TAQH/BAIwADAfBgNVHSMEGDAWgBSIq/Fgg2ZV9ORYx0YdwGG9I9fDjDANBgkqhkiG
    =
9w0BAQQFAAOBgQA0W8I5i5ud2xQwjqyjgD5qRZoFV4JFrBhCTVHvWx5V8hWHJHim+WRUVij8
    =
qzzQ/HXeLqyNCx4ykmoJkscbiXrcN+CKujRLcxpAeQRh73sH2v/0QVpoiIBuJZsyI1w0qBvS
    EdL43vHhoxe85O6Rp+Q48Klq1SPBkys0q1RMtYJUeA=3D=3D

EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:B.U.Niderost@phys.uu.nl
EMAIL;INTERNET:niderost@instudo.com
REV:20000706T082510Z
END:VCARD