[omniORB] Multithreading mechanism

Yang Lingjia lingjia@krdl.org.sg
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:21:08 +0800

Hi,

Should I take it as that OmniOrb doesn't support thread pool mechanism?  :-)

The reason for us to in favor of pool thread mechanism is that  we need to
initialize a pool of database connections at the startup stage of the system.
As we all know that initialization of database handler takes a long time.
This will reduce the waiting time of the clients and we can reuse the
resources.  In the other words, if we use thread per connection mechanism,
database handler will be released after the client disconnected.  If we use the
thread pool mechanism, we can reuse the database handler.  Thread pool
mechanism is more efficient compare to thread per connection because it allows
sharing of threads among clients.

One more point, our clients need to initialize a few request to the server at
one time.  It will have no problem with pool thread mechanism.  For thread per
connection, it needs to initialize a connection per request.

For your comments please!

Lingjia