[omniORB] Problem with omniNames and Java client

Jean Francois Poilpret jfpoilpret@hn.vnn.vn
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:50:40 +0700

Hi Lenny,

Recently I discussed about a similar problem in this list.
Finally, we discovered that the ORB of JDK1.3 is buggy when it comes to =
use IOR having certain ObjectKey (in particular ObjectKey less than 12 =
bytes in length).
The IOR of omniNames 3.0 has an ObjectKey of "NameService" (11 =
characters in length), so trying to use the omniNames service with =
JDK1.3 is not possible for now.
I already reported a bug to Sun (id:4351366), the fix is in progress but =
I'm afraid it won't be available until months... If you want a quicker =
fix, just connect to the Java Developer Connection and vote for this bug =
in the Bug Parade !
After trying to use JDK1.3 ORB with omniORB to no avail, I decided to =
stop using it because it still seems too buggy for me. So I stick with =
ORBACUS 4.0 for Java, which is free for non commercial applications and =
which is INS-compliant (the JDK1.3 integrated ORB is not INS compliant =
and still uses the "old" -Sun specified- Boot object "INIT" -NB, =
omniNames also provides this Boot Object, for compatibility purposes).

Cheers

    Jean-Francois