[omniORB] omniORB-to-omniORB over internet

Michael J. Donahue mdonahue@McLeodUSA.com
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:56:10 -0500

Assuming that omniORB uses a Stream (TCP) socket.  (I don't know for sure if it
does.)

If your firewall is configured with SOCKS,  on the UNIX side you could use the
runsocks preloader as you run omniNames and your server apps to open listening
ports on the SOCKS firewall.  It is available for most flavors of UNIX under the
GNU public license.

Windows is a little different, but you have a few options there too.  You could
use SocksCap32 to launch your app which basically does the same thing as
runsocks, or you could use a product like NEC's e-Border client that enables
applications to be socksified transparently.  (www.eborder.nec.com)  Lastly, you
could write your own Layered Service Provider to transparently socksify your
communication through a SOCKS firewall, but this is not a trivial task.

Good Luck,

- Mike Donahue

Ben Miller <Ben.Miller@Mercia.Com> on 08/09/2000 09:33:24 AM