[omniORB] SCO Unixware 7 port & support

Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:51:44 +0100

On Tuesday 8 August, Marcus Bullingham wrote:

> It's actually gcc version 2.95.2, which as far as I know does support
> thread-safe exceptions, and anyway it is the same compiler we are using on
> Linux - which does not suffer from the same problem when running omniORB.
> However, I guess it's not quite as simple as which compiler (& version) I am
> using... the compiled code will be dependent upon various OS specific
> libraries (& other magic). So, I will trawl the gnu & SCO webs to find out
> more information...

Where did your gcc come from?  If gcc itself is not configured with
the --enable-threads option, the code it generates is not thread safe.
Don't be fooled by the gcc documentation which claims --enable-threads
is only used by Objective C -- it affects C++ too.

Try compiling gcc from scratch, using --enable-threads.

> Once I have solved the problem, and done enough testing to be confident with
> the port, I will send you the updates for UW7 support. Would you prefer this
> by email, or can I get access to the repository? (We run CVS here at
> Aculab).

Please send patches by email, either to the list if they're small, or
to omniorb@uk.research.att.com if they're big enough to annoy people.