[omniORB] NEWBY question: 1 object reference, multiple callers

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:35:55 -0400

In Message <398B2936.DF41B1D0@magellan.umontreal.ca> ,
   Stefan Seefeld <seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

=>Stefano Santoro wrote:
=>>
=>> Hi,
=>>
=>> I am using v2.8 and I am coidn a CORBA server.
=>> I have a question: if multiple clients (say multiple
=>> processes runiing a client ORB program) share
=>> the same object reference to ONE servant object,
=>> and all call it concurently, does it mean that omniORB
=>> either
=>>
=>> 1) spawns new threads to deal with the concurrent
=>>     requests to the same servant, meaning that the
=>>     same servant object can respond to more than
=>>     one request at any given time
=>>
=>> 2) keeps the requests to the ONE servant queued
=>>     so that the servant may process only one request
=>>     at a time.
=>
=>this entirely depends on the POA policy you choose.
=>If you allow multiple threads, you have to care for
=>thread safety yourself. In the single threaded policy
=>it's the POA which will serialize requests.

   Quite right. I forgot about that when composing my reply.
However, he mentioned he is using 2.8, so he only has the BOA to
work with, which makes my answer right anyway. :-)

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories
					Verizon Communications