[omniORB] const arguments

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:12:50 +0200

Hi all,
    the CORBA 2.3 added to sequences a nice feature to get contents
ownership through method get_buffer(true). This way saves an extra copy of
container buffer which is very important when *large* sequences are managed
(e.g. bitmaps) and trashing swap space is avoided. Examples occur when such
buffer must be delivered to background threads, or edited in place being
already allocated.
Unfortunately Omniidl2 (for OmniORB 2.8) always tags dispatched arguments by
ref. as "const &", thus preventing this method to be applied.
While a dirty cast could be always applied, I wonder while this limit could
not be removed, letting implementations free of taking contents ownership.
Thanks,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it