[omniORB] object deletion strategies

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:55:11 -0400

David Riddoch wrote:

> Bear in mind that omniORB 3 _is_ the future of omniORB, and that is where
> the development effort is going.

Sure. I'm just wondering whether the POA is really the best object adaptor
we can get in the particular context of berlin. It is certainly a major step
ahead for 'normal' CORBA applications where granularity of objects is quite high.
In Berlin I do lots of scene graph traversals per second and each involves a
high number of method invocations, even a couple of transient objects
(transformations and regions notably for dynamic layout).
Berlin is currently quite slow, Fresco is much faster. I'm wondering where
the differences come from, given that Berlin inherits Fresco's architecture.
One possible difference is that Fresco uses a non-standard ORB. That's why
I'm trying to understand the particularities of all the involved strategy choices.

Best regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal