[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE when narrowing an object reference to a naming context

Brecht Vermeulen Brecht.Vermeulen@rug.ac.be
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:29:00 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I've met some strange behaviour with omniORB 2.7.0 and 2.8.0 on the
Linux/Debian 2.1 platform.

When I want to narrow an object reference to a Naming Context, I expect
that it just gives a nil pointer, but there is thrown a COMM_FAILURE
exception.

	  try {
	    context = CosNaming::NamingContext::_narrow(tmpobj);
	  }
	  catch(const CORBA::COMM_FAILURE&) {
			cout << "Yes" << endl;
          }

so if tmpobj is an object reference (found by a resolve), it throws an
exception. This can also be seen by using nameclt and executing a nameclt
remove_context ... on an object entry instead of a context entry.

Is this a bug ?

best regards,
Brecht Vermeulen
ATLANTIS IP-ATM testlab