[omniORB] User survey from the omniORB team, please help

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:55:45 +0100

Dear omniORB users,

I'm going to speak at an AT&T symposium dedicated to Open Source Software
in a fortnight. This is a very good forum to encourage the use of Open
Source Software within AT&T and to broaden the support within the Company
to release more of its software as Open Source.

To help me with the preparation, I would like to hear from you some
feedback on using omniORB. In particular, some answers to the following
questions would be useful:

1. What are the applications that you have deployed with omniORB?

      I know from previous email exchanges with various users that they are
      using omniORB in a wide spectrum of applications. If you can give me
      some details I would be grateful.

2. Is the lack of commercial support an issue?

3. Is commercial support a pre-requisite or a stumbling block that
   determines whether you can use a particular piece of Open Source
   software?

4. What are the risks in using Open Source Software such as omniORB and how
   do you manage the risks?

5. What benefits have you derived from using omniORB (and other Open Source
   Software)?
      I especially like to hear from you if you previously have
      used commercial CORBA products.

Please send me your reply directly instead of posting to the list. I'll
summarise the replies to the list later.

Thanks.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com