[omniORB] Re: [Berlin-design] configure broke again. *grr*

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:21:05 -0400

You should CC your omni specific complains to omniORB. There you go...

"Jon M. Taylor" wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, winterlion wrote:
>
> > okay, I do
> > CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/omniORB_280/include" ./configure \
> > --with-orb-prefix=/usr/local/omniORB_280/ \
> > --with-ggi-prefix=/usr/local/ \
> > --with-gl-prefix=/usr/local/Berlin \
> > --disable-py-clients
> >
> > and what do you know?
> >
> > omniORB is not found.
>
> [More omniORB problems snipped]
>
>         I spent several hours yesterday trying and failing to build
> Berlin, and most of that time was spent fighting with OmniORB.  The
> OmniORB package's config, build and install system is in dire need of a
> top-to-bottom refactoring, ideally to make it use autoconf, automake and
> libtool like all other sane open source library packages do. Getting
> OmniORB build and installed properly looks like the major sticking point
> for a lot of people when trying to get Berlin working for the first time.

One thing I needed to do in order to get omniORB compiled was to look up the
platform specific makefile (mk/platforms/i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1.mk for me)
and remove the prefix from the compiler variables. Otherwise, there is no
way to use a compiler installed elsewhere, not to speak of multiple compilers
installed on the same host.
I agree about autoconf being a Good Thing for all that. However, *not* on
automake. It's completely insane, it requires a very specific layout of the
source tree and I'm *not* willing to adapt my projects to the constraints of
whatever tool. It's the tool that needs to be patched.
Anyway, I think we are getting along quite nicely with our build system
without automake.

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique