[omniORB] Problem with omniORBpy on Solaris

Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:34:26 +0100

On Wednesday 5 April, Michael Lauer wrote:

> However: When I try to run omniidl -bpython echo.idl, it
> crashes with:
>
> ld.so:1 : python (...)
> /tmp/.mickey_cache/omni/lib/sun4_sosV_5.7/_omniidlmodule.so: Symbol
> PyFile_Type: referenced symbol not found.
>
> I searched through the archives of this mailing list which
> recommended something like -Xlinker --export-dynamic when
> compiling Python1.5.2 - this hasn't solved my problem.

> SunOS diamant 5.7 Generic_106541-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> and gcc --version dumps out:
> egcs-2.91.57

I don't know what the problem is. I have just built everything,
including Python, from scratch, using exactly the same compiler, and
almost the same type of machine (SunOS onion 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-4). Everything works fine for me. I configured Python with
just the --with-threads flag, and nothing else.

It looks like there is something broken about your python executable
(or maybe you are accidentally using an older version of Python).  I
suggest that you rebuild it. One thing you can try is

  $ nm `which python` | grep PyFile_Type

which for me gives:

  [2704]  |    663488|     108|OBJT |GLOB |0    |16     |PyFile_Type

I suspect that for you there won't be a PyFile_Type symbol.