[omniORB] Segmentation Faults with omniNames on AIX 4.3

mdonahue@McLeodUSA.com mdonahue@McLeodUSA.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:15:26 -0500

Let me start by saying thanks to Gary Duncan for his solution on my linking
problem.  Due to problems with how the make files use relative paths, I ended up
linking everything by hand to get omniNames to start.

My Question:
-------------------
Has anyone had Segmentation Fault problems with omniNames on omniORB 2.8.0.  I'm
running on AIX 4.2 and building with gcc 2.95.2.  Here is what I'm doing to see
the problem.

1.)  Start omniNames. (forground or background makes no difference)
2.)  Start a simple CORBA echo server that registers with the Name Service.
3.)  Start a program that opens a CORBA connection to the server via the Name
Service, sends a short string, and shuts down

Sometime after step 3 omniNames dies with a segmentation fault.  If I just start
omniNames and don't start any clients or servers, omniNames seems to run without
any problems, but I have only tried this for an hour or two.  As soon as I have
run the client at least once, omniNames eventually dies.  I doesn't always die
immediately, and in most cases, I can successfully do step 3 over and over again
in a loop unit omniNames dies, but is never takes more that 20 times before it
dies.

NOTE:  The platform make file I use "powerpc_aix_4.2_egcs.mk" has NOT been
updated to work with omniORB 2.8.0.  I had t update hard coded settings for
omniORB 2.7.x before it would work at all.

TIA,

- Mike Donahue