[omniORB] destroying objects implementations

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
30 Sep 1999 14:02:16 +0100

--=-=-=

--=-=-=

From: "Renzo Tomaselli" <renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it>
To: "Sai-Lai Lo" <S.Lo@uk.research.att.com>
Subject: Re: [omniORB] destroying objects implementations
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:56:22 +0200

Folks,
    thanks for your prompr reply. Session management is not a problem for my
services. I use to fit them into dlls, where a generic loader (publishing
its own IDL interface) manages them up and down. Every dll implements at
least one top object (actually a factory) whose life follows the dll
lifecycle. Here the load on demand feature of OmniORB plays a beautyful game
to let clients think that object is always alive. All other objects are
distributed along a hierarchy rooted from that top object, so when session
ends (the loader takes the dll down) the whole hierarchy is safely and
orderly disposed.
The real trouble occurs during *long* (possibly indefinite) sessions:
objects must be deleted sometimes to avoid out of memory cases.
One way is certainly a transparent way (based on timing or LRU rules, the
server does *not* know when all clients have released their instances) for
disposal/recreation such as suggested by Helge Penne.
The management of distributed ref. counting is another way: indeed for
colocated applications we can call _dispose() after the very first _this()
call, so we come up with a counter equal to the number of released
instances: the last release() destroys the implementation. But for
distributed applications this doesn't apply (the server counter has a value
of almost 1 all the time).
So the point is how to couple protocols and techniques as mentioned by
Sai_Lai to the fixed constraint of IIOP underway.
For example I could notify the server whenever a client does release() an
instance, so that when the ref. counter drops to 1 we can implicitely
_dispose(); but this would require a special protocol as well as a kind of
proxy factory on client side and I can't see how to fit this within an
existing CORBA compliant framework such as OmniORB.
Thanks,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it