[omniORB] Perl

Mark D. Landry mdlandry@lincoln.midcoast.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:08:56 -0400

> > I'm new to Corba and C++ is certainly not one of my favorite languages.
> > But I am more used to Perl. So I was wondering of there is a bridge between
> > omniorb2 and Perl.
>
> There isn't a Perl binding for omniORB. We will, however, be releasing
> a Python binding in the very near future. If you must use Perl, then
> try COPE or ILU:
>
>   http://www.lunatech.com/research/corba/cope/
>
>   ftp://beta.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

COPE works fine with omniORB.  From a Perl programmer's perspective, you see the
Corba plumbing which looks "raw".

While it isn't an OMG standard, COPE specifies a Perl binding for Corba.

Is there a reason omniORB developers are choosing to do a Python binding instead
of Perl? There's a heck of a lot more going on in Perl (more users, more
published books, more integration w/Apache, ...)