[omniORB] destroying objects implementations

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:23:39 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Helge Penne wrote:

> A second mechanism was implemented to recreate deallocated ptie objects
> if they were needed by a client after all.  For this, the "activator"
> mechanism in VisiBroker was used to create the ptie object based on the
> object key.  Until recently, I did't think it was possible to implement
> this in omniORB in any reasonably simple manner.  The message by
> bcristi@cti.ro on tuesday ("[omniORB] Loading objects on demand")
> suggests that there might be one now (part of the POA perhaps?).  I
> haven't had time to check it out yet, but it just might be possible.

Object loading on demand has been supported in omniORB for a very long
time.  See omniORB.h and omniORB::loader::set().  This is of course an
omniORB specific extension.

A better way to do it perhaps is to use the POA, which has standard ways
to associate keys with objects, and create objects on demand.  The things
you need to look at are:

  PortableServer::ServantActivator
                  ServantLocator
  Default servants.