[omniORB] compile v2.7.1 under Solaris 2.6

Douglas Kosovic douglask@dstc.edu.au
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:40:53 +1000

Jeffrey Yu wrote:

> I have successfully compiled this version under Solaris 2.6/gcc and
> Linux2.0.36/gcc environment.  Now I want to use the native compiler
> available to Solaris 2.6, which is the version 4.2 from SUN.

> Before I compile, I did go into ./mk/platforms/sun4_sosV_5.6.mk to replace
> gcc with CC.

By default, sun4_sosV_5.6.mk uses 'CC' for the C++ compiler and 'gcc'
for the C compiler.

What you are trying to do is replace a C compiler with a C++ compiler,
when actually you should be replacing 'gcc' with 'cc' rather than 'CC'.
So all you have to do is uncomment the 'cc' region and comment out the
'gcc' region in the sun4_sosV_5.6.mk makefile.

> Do I have to have gcc around in Sun5.6?  Please help!

Only if you don't have Sun's C and C++ compilers installed with
corresponding licenses.

But, if you already have a gcc distribution installed, replacing 'gcc'
with 'cc' in sun4_sosV_5.6.mk doesn't provide you with anything extra.

Doug.