[omniORB] Thread stack size (again)

Allan Clark allanc@sco.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:48:56 -0400

Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> It was a conscious decision to leave array allocation on the stack.
>
> [ ... ]

understood...

> The stack size per thread is an issue. One solution is for the omnithread
> library to check for the value of an environment variable,
> e.g. OMNITHREAD_STACKSIZE. It uses the value if it is not outrageously
> small.

Alternatives:
1) A member variable which can be overridden in the descendent class?
2) A default on the constructor?

While an environment variable makes it simple to test a given stack size in the orb, it
is difficult to hard-code a stack size into the orb code using environment variables.

Obviously, if these are things I truly need, then I should just code them in myself.
You could build a stubbed method which grabs the stacksize from the environment; this
method could be overridden in children to give a different source for this config item.

(yes, full of pie-in-the-sky ideas again)

Allan