[omniORB] HPUX question

Rob Cecil rceci@master.adams.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:56:17 -0400

--------------B879CE1328DFA3E7E54A2A06

David,

Thanks for the lowdown.  Looking at the platform file for 10.20, it appears that level 4
is supported of the Posix threads package.  Can anyone tell me what the name of the HP os
bundle is called and where I might find it for installation ( on a cd that I might have,
ftp site ), thanks.

(Am I headed for trouble?)

Rob

"Chung, David" wrote:

>         HPUX 10.20 supports what they call "user threads", which are
> supposed to be emulation of "kernel threads", which is a "true" threading (I
> do not know the full implementation details on this).  At the time I was
> looking for pthread support, I could not find one.  However, if there is one
> today, it will be derived from "user" threads, because there is no kernel
> threads on 10.20.  I suspect this probably will pose problems for true
> multi-threaded applications, mainly because thread emulations (user threads)
> seem to be buggy.  I encountered bugs running Java multithreaded programs on
> 10.20.  In addition, we tried to run our Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5
> (which was supposed to be multi-threaded), but HPUX 10.20 was not handling
> the threading correctly -- again, an illustration of problems with HPUX
> 10.20 thread emulation.
>
>         I have not heard much about how omniORB runs on HPUX 10.20, so I
> cannot comment on this issue with full authority, but I would that it will
> pose problems too.
>
>         HPUX 11.00 supports kernel threads, which are used to implement
> pthreads.  All our multi-threaded applications run well on it.  It seems
> that it is the first HPUX version that really supports threading.

it appears that level 4 is supported of the Posix threads package.&nbsp;
Can anyone tell me what the name of the HP&nbsp;os bundle is called and
where I might find it for installation ( on a cd that I&nbsp;might have,
ftp site ), thanks.
supports what they call "user threads", which are
(I
time I was
there is one
kernel
for true
threads)
programs on
3.5
HPUX
how omniORB runs on HPUX 10.20, so I
it will
threads, which are used to implement
It seems
explain
source and
would
So far
issues I
pthreads
and
is
| Senior Development Engineer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

(www.adams.com)&nbsp;&nbsp; |

<pre>--&nbsp;
| Rob Cecil&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Senior Development Engineer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| rceci@adams.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Product Development&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| (734) 913-9351&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. (www.adams.com)&nbsp;&nbsp; |
&nbsp;</html>

--------------B879CE1328DFA3E7E54A2A06--