[omniORB] HPUX question

Chung, David David.Chung@USPTO.GOV
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:41:49 -0400

	HPUX 10.20 supports what they call "user threads", which are
supposed to be emulation of "kernel threads", which is a "true" threading (I
do not know the full implementation details on this).  At the time I was
looking for pthread support, I could not find one.  However, if there is one
today, it will be derived from "user" threads, because there is no kernel
threads on 10.20.  I suspect this probably will pose problems for true
multi-threaded applications, mainly because thread emulations (user threads)
seem to be buggy.  I encountered bugs running Java multithreaded programs on
10.20.  In addition, we tried to run our Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5
(which was supposed to be multi-threaded), but HPUX 10.20 was not handling
the threading correctly -- again, an illustration of problems with HPUX
10.20 thread emulation.

	I have not heard much about how omniORB runs on HPUX 10.20, so I
cannot comment on this issue with full authority, but I would that it will
pose problems too.

	HPUX 11.00 supports kernel threads, which are used to implement
pthreads.  All our multi-threaded applications run well on it.  It seems
that it is the first HPUX version that really supports threading.