[omniORB] OmniOrb on Unixware 7 ?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
17 Sep 1999 15:32:39 +0100

Allan,

> Unixware likes to put a few items at the start of the preprocessed output
> (cc -E) that the idlcompiler does not like.

If you can send me the parts of the preprocessor output that omniidl2
doesn't like, may be I can do something with the yacc grammer to deal with
that. We've done that to cater for other preprocessor already.

Alternatively, in 2.8.0(pre2), you can now give omniidl2 a -Y <cpp path name>
and omniidl2 will use that preprocessor instead of whatever it is hardwired
to use.

The ability of the C++ compiler is the most important issue. It has to be
able to do multi-threaded execption handling. The gcc-2.7.1 based compiler
that the first OSR5 omniORB port uses is really long in the tooth and will
not compile 2.8.0. I've given up wasting time to discover workarounds for
the all too frequent 'internal compiler error'.

It would be really great if the SCO skunkware can come with a gcc-2.95
compiler that properly support multi-threaded exception handling. Gcc
itself already has the mechanism- setjmp/longjmp + pthread helper
functions, it is a matter of configuring the compiler properly for the
platform. (I wonder if autoconf can figure out the configuration in this
case.)

By the way, remember you ask me for a live CORBA server to try out
your omniORB setup? Well our weather server is now publicly accessible.

Go to http://www.uk.research.att.com/cgi-bin/weathergauges-html-cgi and
click on  "Live real-time weather readings are now available via a Java
applet".

Guess what is the java ORB that runs inside the applet...

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com