[omniORB] Re: Autoconf Abilities [was Installation and Configuration on RedHat 6.0]

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:01:57 +0000

I'm working on a heavily multi threaded project ('Berlin')
with a self built gcc 2.95 *without* --enable-threads.
I havn't encountered any problems so far though we use
threads a lot. Note that we have a logger class which
writes to cout but uses a mutex to serialize access to
the iostream library. However, if I remember correctly,
I also used iostreams without mutexes so the output got
messed up - but never did it core dump. Some voices say
that threading creates problems only inside exception
handling (while the stack is being unwound).

The docs for the current gcc say that --enable-threads
only affect the objective-C front end and runtime.

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal