[omniORB] Autoconf Abilities [was Installation and Configuration on RedHat 6.0]

Douglas Kosovic douglask@dstc.edu.au
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:02:22 +1000

Duane Griffin wrote:

> > > Sure. You can require the user to specify a compiler as an argument
> > > to configure.
> > >
> > Actually, we can just invoke the compiler to get its version
> > info, and use that as a test for the right compiler.
>
> Yes, but it isn't just the version we need to know. Is there any way we
> can tell whether the compiler was built with the --enable-threads flag?

Can't an autoconf test based on the following be used:
   g++ -dumpspecs | grep threads

I assume (but can't confirm it as I don't have a gcc built without
--enable-threads), if the output is empty, then there is no thread
support.

> > Or, create a test case that highlights the compiler problem, stick it
> > in the "tests" directory, and have it check if the compiler on the
> > system is acceptable.
>
> But do we have a simple test case that works consistently? It sounds
> like the problems are subtle and intermittent.

There are a number of C++ tests at the offical GNU autoconf macro
archive that could be useful:
  http://peti.cys.de/autoconf-archive/

Doug.