[omniORB] Installation and Configuration on RedHat 6.0

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
14 Sep 1999 21:23:11 +0100

> Sai-Lai Lo wrote:
>> Just a few extra notes:
>>
>> 1. To compile, edit config.mk and select platform = i586_linux_2.0_glibc.
>> Edit <top>/mk/platforms/i586_linux_2.0_glibc.mk and changed
>> CXX = g++
>> CC  = gcc
>> The default were /usr/local/egcs/bin/g++ and /usr/local/egcs/bin/gcc

> By the way, I think this should be the default for all environments. I
> once had problems just because I have two compilers installed on my
> system but simply wanted to use the compiler which came first using the
> PATH variable.

It was not an oversight but a deliberate default. There are just too many
versions of gcc that simply is not reliable to build multithreaded C++
programs. Making the user edit this file at least give them a reminder to
check whether the compiler is indeed egcs-1.1.2 or gcc-2.95 that is built
with (--enable-threads).

I think I'll add to the config.mk and README.FIRST to remind Linux users to
check the compiler and edit the platform file accordingly!

At some point in future, when all the buggy gcc versions are gone, may be
we can revert back to simply specifies gcc and g++.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com