[omniORB] ActiveX

Guenther Grau Guenther.Grau@bosch.com
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:54:59 +0200

Helge Penne wrote:
> Guenther Grau wrote:
> > Helge Penne wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I'm glad to hear that they use Purify, on hope that the will take the time to make
> > > omniORB clean up properly after itself.  It would make is so much easier for other
> > > people to use the same kind of tools.  I now have to wade through several pages
> > > messages related to memory left behind by omniORB in order to look for my own memory
> > > leaks.  Quite unnecessary and very frustrating.
> >
> > well, if it's so frustrating, then fixing and reporting the
> > bugs would be my first priority :-) After all it's free
> > software and it lives from people contributing to it
> > (although we are extremly lucky that a company (AT&T)
> > has serveral people on their payroll dedicated to the
> > development of omniORB).
> >
> > And if you cannot fix the bugs/leaks, then you should
> > at least report them, and not complain about them
> > being there without being specific where the bugs
> > are. No offence intended, just my opinion.
> >
> >   Guenther
[...]
> The project where I was fortunate enough to work with omniORB did indeed find and report
> some issues related to the ETS Kernel port, as well as buffering of oneway messages on
> WinNT (should be in the archives somewhere).  My point: We have already contributed what
> we have found, but possibly not as much as you would like.

Well, I think I have to clarify this. Just to make this clear again, the
following is just my personal opinion.
1) I'd like to see people contributing to omniORB and other free
software.
2) I like people just using free software without contributing to it.
3) I like people reporting bugs / asking for features.
4) I do not like people using free software and demanding other people
   fix it so they can use it.

I do not say that you are one of category 4!!! As you state above you
already contributed back. But: you sounded pretty demanding and
complaining
in your first mail. You probably didn't mean it like this, but I read it
that way, and others as well, as they, too, asked you to provide
detailed
reports about the leaks. But then again, I don't want to speculate too
much
about other peoples mail...

> I'm afraid my employer will not let me use the time necessary to find omniORB bugs if they
> are not important to an ongoing project.  I'm sure I'm not the only omniORB user in that
> situation.  When or if we do fix anything, we'll certainly let you all know.

Same here. I have to do most of it in my spare time as well, although
I sometimes decide I need to dedicate a certain amount of my working
time into fixing/improving the free software we use.

> I'm sorry to have to say this to you, but simply stating that no offense was intended does

Well, don't be sorry. If you feel this way, I am glad you informed me
about this.

> not always mean the people are not offended by your writing.  Remember, you did address
> your critisim of me publicly to the forum, and not to me in private.  As far as I am
> concerned, that lowers the "offense threshold" significantly.  I was offended, but then I
> may have had too much coffee today...

I am sorry that I offended you. I honestly apologize, because that
clearly wasn't
my intention!!!
I did send this publicly to the forum because I have seen many users
demanding
fixes/improvements on the list and from time to time they need a little
reminder that they are dealing with free software. They didn't pay for
the software or the support, so they should not complain.

And wrt. to criticism, I didn't really want to criticise you. I do not
have
the right to do this. I just wanted to remind you and others of above
things
and make you think again about what you wrote. If I wanted to criticise
you,
I wouldn't have used a smiley, would I?

This will be my last mail about this topic in the public. If you want
to continue this thread feel free to email me personally.

  Guenther

P.S.: Please excuse my bad English. It's ok for most technical
discussions (at least I think it is :-), but I am not able to express
my personal feelings and emotions in this foreign language.